You know the little game you play with kids, this little piggie went to market, this little piggie stayed home, etc. Well I'm re-writing it to make it applicable to us.
This little piggie went to art camp
This little piggie went to the ER
This little piggie slashed her piggie
This little piggie doesn't eat veggies without ranch
and this little little piggie got an infected toe and screamed bloody murder on our balcony all night long
OK so she didn't scream bloody murder all night long, but it was about 15 minutes, then again Thursday morning for another 5 minutes. Her toe (not the one that she gashed the other one) has gotten infected and it was a lot worse than we originally thought. So we confessed that a doctor's appointment was needed since this was above our level. She is TERRIFIED of the doctor, I'm not talking that she doesn't like to go (who does); this is, no maybe if I throw a temper tantrum I'll get out of it kind of thing, this is terror, and you can see it in her eyes. Her mom filled us in on Nurse, actually PA Ratchett, who traumatized the kid when she was 4. Mom if you are reading this, don't give me the PA's name I might punch him for joy, for the pain he has caused her, and subsequently the rest of us.
The mom and I conversed about a plan of action and her regular doctor in VA was consulted. Antibiotic ointment and and oral antibiotics, as well as a look at by a local doc. Yesterday I scoured the internet looking for a child friendly doc, got referrals from people as well as a local pediatrician. Called and made an appt for Tuesday, I read the doc's bio, and informed the receptionist that there would be no procedures or needles that day. This child needs time to process information and we are blessed to have the time to allow that to happen, of course if she has to have something done we may schedule it for later that day or the next. The receptionist was very understanding and noted her file. Now comes the hard part, telling her she has to go to the doctor.
I picked her up from camp and got her changed for her horse back riding lesson. I figured I would drop the bomb on the way to the lesson because she would calm down at the sight of "her" horse. I had previously consulted two ladies on their take and I combined what they said to form my own plan. As we're walking to the car, I used funny voices but laid out the game plan, including the doctor's office visit. I gave her all the info I had on Dr. Walsh, so that he wouldn't feel like so much of a stranger. I then had her repeat back to me what was going to occur over the next 5 days. She said "I have to put on my big girl panties". I almost cried from laughter when she said that, I had used that analogy earlier that morning with some severe trepidation that it was a mis-step, but I guess not. For the next 10 minutes we thought of silly ways to introduce ourselves to the doctor and by the time we got to the farm she had tears of laughter on her cheeks.
I won't be mentioning the doctor any more until Tuesday morning, and I'm hoping that this approach is effective. She knows what is going on and is reminded 3 times daily when taking her meds, so she can't forget about it.
Oh yeah also during all of this I was given some meds that I was allergic too, so I have been itching and in a good amount of pain this week, we finally figured it out on Wednesday night and I'm feeling a lot better, but I know my patience level hasn't been the highest this week.
Friday, July 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment