Sunday, July 20, 2008

Hannah, come back we're not sending you to Cambodia.

Friday night we went to the mall to get her a new bra (don't tell her I told you..shhh), and a new bathing suit. Since I was still not feeling well, I needed John's help, (here is the story I am submitting to Vatican to have my husband canonized). We went first to the bra store where she received amazing customer service, we bought a garment that even on sale was WAY to expensive, but they fitted her to make sure we got the correct size, so I wasn't just going to leave. John sat outside in a chair reading a script. After this we went to one department store that had no matching tops and bottoms left on their swimsuit racks, so we headed over to the other store. The angels sang, and the heaven's opened as an associate pointed us towards the juniors swim department. Racks and racks of bikinis, tankinis, one pieces and those popular hybrids. So we went at it. Then it happened, I needed John, so I called him and he stayed by her side and made suggestions as she picked out suits while I attended to my illness. When I got back she had about 8 different tankinis to try on. So to the dressing room we went.
None of the suits were working and she had a little breakdown. I always thought it was mentally difficult for me to go bathing suit shopping, but an 8 year old that has half a child's and half a woman's body brings so many new challenges, that I could not previously comprehend. We couldn't find anything that worked, so we started out when the sales lady stopped us. "Have you tried a 1 piece?" She was adamant that she didn't want a 1 piece, but the sales lady directed her to the junior 1 piece, she tried on the first one and was sold. Again she received excellent customer service and took a size smaller than we had been trying on, so the angst she previously had had about her weight was gone.
All she wanted to do yesterday was swim, but since I was still under the weather and John wasn't feeling so hot, sitting outside in 100+ weather with scorching sun was not going to happen. After dinner we told her we had a surprise, we were headed to the pool. She was thrilled and couldn't put on her new suit fast enough. Also, just to make her fashion coordination one step better, her cover up, shoes and suit matched great. Damn it, how did this kid get better swim stuff than me? I mean I'm the one buying the stuff I wish I had the eye for me like I do for her.

No comments: