Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Breakthroughs

Over the course of the last week we have had several realizations and breakthroughs, which if we jump in the way back machine to when I started my blog it was about my realizations and now it's about hers.
Breakthrough Number 1:
We went to the podiatrist this morning, and there were only a few tears shed prior to leaving the house. She was really nervous and subsequently very grouchy this morning, I can't make my bed, it's too hard; I don't want that for breakfast I want muffins (no muffins were made); I ruined my shirt and have to change, etc. We left the house 5 minutes early and arrived in plenty of time to fill out the paperwork. She was very clingy, leaning on me, wanted my arm around her, I swear she would have crawled into my lap if she had been invited. We get called back, they want to do an X-ray first, a little unorthodox I thought, but they do it there, so OK. Then I realized that the X-ray will hopefully prevent any poking and prodding since he can see under the skin, 1 point Dr. Walker. We are escorted back to the exam room and I remind the nurse about her previous ordeal. Nurse asks if she can have a sucker, another point team Walker. Dr. Walked comes in, without his lab coat and introduces himself to the kid. Allows her to ask as many questions as she wants and draws pictures on the paper covering to show her what's going on, 1 million points Dr. Walker. Tells her to stay in flip flops and see her doctor when she gets home. Looks like she is going to have to have some major surgery in a few weeks though.
The breakthrough here was although she was terrified and she did cry, she didn't throw a tantrum. There was no screaming, no flailing of her person, no back talk, just a frightened little girl who told us she was scared. Fortunately the big girl panties fit just right today.
Breakthrough number 2:
So I noticed as she was walking yesterday that every few steps she needed to pull up her pants. As she got dressed this morning her non-stretch shorts were pulled on without being unfastened. I have to buy her a belt, not because it's cute, but to actually hold her pants up! I am pretty sure she is down an entire pant size!!! She had McDonald's for dinner last night and actually weighed her options, french fries or a soda, and ordered right off the kids meal menu. She did ask for a big milkshake, but I figure we've made huge strides thus far, even if it is only in the awareness department.
While these might not seem like milestones they are enormous and it has taught me so much. Must be flexible, must be flexible, still not really flexible, but a lot more so.

No comments: