Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I spoke too soon....sort of

10am this morning John gets "the call", she fell at camp and hit her knee and head, the knee is pretty bad. He jots down he contact person's number and calls me right away. I can hear the seriousness in his voice the minute I pick up my phone, "Jot this number down , I'll tell you why in a minute". My heart sinks, thousands of things run through my mind in that nano-second. I grab my purse let the office know what's going on and head over to camp.
I get there way before John who was at home and who cooly collected her power of attorney, Military ID/insurance card, and children's Tylenol. I walk in and she was sitting in the rehearsal hall with ice on her knee. I informed her that "cage fighting" is not allowed out of the home, which brought a smile to her face. We discussed her options and decided to go to the hall and not interrupt rehearsal.
John showed up a few minutes later and we were joking around. Her knee was looking pretty rotten, had a lovely abrasion in the shape of a guitar pick, was almost twice it's normal size, and had multiple shades of blue and purple. We all chatted for a while and John to try and see if he swelling went down, after it didn't we decided to take her to the ER. We figured an 8 year old 1200 miles away from mom was not a time to be wrong about an injury.
So one of the hospitals in Baton Rouge has a pediatric ER, and it was awesome! From the staff to the facility, everyone and thing was tuned into kids. About 20 minutes after arriving at the hospital Danielle, our PA walked in for an initial assessment......contusion, fancy word for bruise; I felt like an idiot. They decided to do X-rays just to double check since she was there, everything checked out fine. Then the doctor came in, who had her walking within 2 minutes; (FYI this Dr. was made to be a pediatric physician, he was so gifted with her).
Hannah says that she wants to stay with me, and I inform her I will be going back to my office, she said that was fine. Thank God we have a portable DVD player at the office with several movies. She was fine, didn't speak 10 words until 4:45 when a policy holder walked in. No concerns here though, her manners were suitable for the Queen! I was beaming with pride!
She's walking fine as long as she forgets to baby the knee or we're not looking. She decided that hopping was a good option and while I encouraged her to walk as much as possible I figured the hopping burned more calories, expended more energy and would thus make her more tired. During this whole ordeal she was so positive, and happy, giddy and goofy at times. Fingers crossed that this behavior continues, because she's so much fun like this.
Tomorrow we cross state lines all the way to Florida. Her last day of art camp, performance, then a 5 hour drive. Prayers are welcomed!

No comments: