Monday, June 22, 2009

The End is Near

The girls leave tomorrow, I can't believe it's been two weeks already. They are so much fun and it's great (for me at least) to spend this quality time with them. I hope they have memories that will last forever.
Saturday was a little bit of a trial. The older one was on an emotional roller coaster, "I want to stay longer" an hour later she's sobbing, "I want to go home NOW". John and I were sitting looking at one another making sure we didn't screw up along the way. I think the bottom line was a combination of exhaustion, anxiety, and hormones. Poor kid, I have enough problems with controlling my own mood swings, I can't imagine being 9 and doing it! After we all rested or napped we had "our girl" back, and we went to a friends house for a BBQ. Where the 6 kids ran around like wild children, which is EXACTLY what 6 kids should do on a hot summer night.
Sunday morning we headed to New Orleans for beignets, a carriage ride and the market. We had gone the weekend before, but the combination of the crowds and heat were too much so we left and decided to get an earlier start this week. Our neighbor and John's former co-worker, Lisa came with us too. The girls LOVED her, her stories, and her riding in the back with them.
At Cafe Du Monde, everyone was properly dusted in a layer of powdered sugar. We tried to eat them without incident or mess, but no amount of napkins can provide adequate coverage. Next we took a carriage ride around the French Quarter, which is where we realized how tired they both were. Once we were done on the ride we briskly walked to the French market and picked up some souvenirs for everyone. I was awful last week, and didn't get a post card for the younger one's best friend, I hope the magnet will make up for it.
The car ride home might be the best part of the entire trip for the girls. Lisa, used to work as a sewer for Disney as well as The Muppets. She said something about working with Miley Cyrus and the girls were mezmorized for the rest of the trip home. Their expressions were priceless too, compltely star struck. Then it came out that she had worked with most of the really popular Disney stars of today and the girls were giddy. I truly think the car ride home yesterday was the best part of their vacation.
I have several more stories, so I'll probably keep blogging after they leave, but that's enough for one day.

2 comments:

christenandjames said...

they were so sweet at BWW, I enjoyed seeing them!

christenandjames said...

make sure to keep blogging after they're gone!

And check out my cooking blog because you've won an award!